Re: Klezmer Clarinet mic systems

Hey Lionel,

As far as "highly mobile and animated";  what do you mean?  Do you leave the
stage or the rest of the band and move around the room?  If you stay around a
6 or so foot radius and move and dance around ( like me ) a good fixed mic is
probably the best bet sound quality wise.  With a microphone in a fixed
position you can 'work the mic'. You can back away when someone else is taking
solo and lean in when you want to add some emphasis.
At one point I was looking into a walkaround system and bought the AKG C419
with a radio setup.  I used it for a couple of gigs and found that rather the
being liberating it cramped my style because I couldn't control the dynamics
that I heard in the stage monitors and of course the dynamics the audience
heard. As for mics I've tried a few but keep coming back to the Shure SM57.
All that being said one of the most highly regarded portable setups is by
AMT.
http://www.appliedmic.com/
A couple of heavy hitters use them in concert - Eddie Daniels for one and
some guy named David Krakauer

Alex Greenberg
Clarinetist with Nefesh
www.nefeshband.com