http://jewish.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1112

Channeling Louis Armstrong

by Brian Blum
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

It seemed like just an ordinary wedding band. That was until the band leader
started channeling Louis Armstrong.

He was a short Yemenite man with a straggly beard, bushy gray payot
(sidelocks), a red Bucharian-style kippa and, perhaps most remarkably in an
already remarkable appearance, a bright red tallit swung over his shoulder -
something more at home in the synagogue than on stage.

He sure didn't look like Louis Armstrong. But that voice...

"I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom for me and you..."

No sooner had they finished the final notes of "What a Wonderful World" then
the band segued into a spot-on rendition of Eric Clapton's "Layla," followed
by a sax-laden version of 1980s New Wave sensation Men at Work's "Land Down
Under" - but this time with Hebrew lyrics joyfully praising God. And then
the band switched gears again and launched a Grateful Dead-inspired jam
based on a particularly rousing Jewish wedding standard from the "Singing
Rabbi," Shlomo Carlebach.

[snip]

Like his tallit, the card was completely done up in various shades of red. I
looked down and read:

"Mati Harari. The Old Red. Music of All Types."

That was for sure.

[snip]