Re: a project for list members....

For an Italian-Sephardi version of "Yehi shalom becheilenu", you may
refer to track no. 37 of the Cd "Italian Jewish Musical Traditions",
issued by the Hebrew University together with the Italian Nat'l Music
Academy.

The CD is still available on line, I believe. (Simon?)

This particular version was recorded in Trieste in the 1950's, and
probably originates from the Corfu.

Tracks 38 and 39 of the Cd are also related to circumcision and birth
(of a male son):

* Bar Yochai, text by Shimon b. Lavi (15th cent.), as sung in Rome
during a ceremony known as "mishmarah" (a night of prayers and songs
preceding a brit milah -- much to be said about the ceremony, but
perhaps some other time...). Whether the specific tradition is
"Italian" or "Sephardic", well, this also could be discussed
endlessly...

* Arze levanon yifrachu, text by Shmuel Archivolti (16-17th cent.),
in the Italian (this time, for sure) tradition of Padua.

Enjoy!

Francesco

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval