Re: Jerusalem and Temple

But it is precisely because of these reasons you mention that there is no
cohesive Building Fund ongoing to actually rebuild the Temple. G-d operating
through History has diverted our path -- so the references are largely
metaphorical, however deeply felt.  After the fall of the First Temple, when
the return was possible, physically rebuilding the Temple under Ezra and
Nehemiah was a top priority not only among returning Jews, but also those
who chose to remain in the relative comfort of the Diaspora.

Now we seem to have a kind of dual existence, a physical Jewish Homeland in
Eretz Yisroyl and a very proliferated Diaspora. And their relationship is
not adversarial, but I think, symbiotic.  The existence of a Jewish State
adds an important dimension and pride to being Jewish in our day. The
existence of a spread out Diaspora with worldwide Jewish communities keeps
that Jewish State from being isolated and at the mercy of its unfriendly
neighbors.

I suspect that (looking at the history of the Jewish People with a long
lens), we are truly in a period of reassessment and transition, as we argue,
reason and pray our way to an even more refined definition of our
Jewishness.

And I also suspect that some of the more controversial issues that arise in
the Jewish world, including Kol Isha, will undergo some revision of
intepretation, even within the world of Orthodoxy -- but obviously, the time
is not yet.  First there will probably have to be a few more female Orthodox
rabbis, Orthodox women will wear a tallit if they wish, and undertake other
male prerogatives like tfillin, etc. It is already beginning to happen.And
as women now regularly have to create their own parnassah, women performers
will have a stronger and stronger case against the implementation of KI.

Sylvia Schildt
Baltimore, Maryland