Jewish music at the Music Library Association National Meeting

The Music Library Association national meeting will be held in Washington,
D.C. this coming February, 2004, and there will be an event of interest in
Jewish music. There is a fee to attend. For information on attending, see:
http://www.lib.jmu.edu/org/mla2004/indexFlash.html

The Jewish Music Roundtable will be held this year,  Thursday Feb. 12,
3:30-5:00pm, and will present two speakers of interest.

Bret Werb of the US Holocaust Museum, will talk about "Music Resources at
the US Holocaust Memorial Museum"
and Leonard Lehrman, will speak on The Jewish Social Conscience in Music,
from Sacco and Vanzetti to the Rosenbergs .

Leonard has arranged to bring his wife, the singer Helene Williams, and
there will be musical performances by Leonard Lehrman, Helene, and pianist
Alan Mandel, Professor Emeritus at American University.

Alan Mandel has also offered to come and may perform
Three Pieces by Siegmeister: Fantasy-Rag (1929), Serenade (1948), and
Jitterbug (1948);
and a 4-minute piano piece of his own, written for the anniversary of 9/11:
"Cosmic Voyage."

Leonard and Helene may be performing selections from this list:
A. a portion of "Haymarket" from E.G.: A Musical Portrait of Emma Goldman
music by Leonard Lehrman; text by composer & Karen Ruoff Kramer;
B. "Crimes" - music by Leonard Lehrman, poem by Edith Segal
C. "The Shofar" from the Rosenberg Cantata: "We Are Innocent"
music by Leonard Lehrman; text by Ethel Rosenberg
D. a short passage on Italians & Jews from the opera "Sacco and Vanzetti"
words & music begun by Marc Blitzstein, completed by Leonard Lehrman
E. the Act I Finale from E.G.: A Musical Portrait of Emma Goldman, including
"I Believe," "The Judith Dream," and "If I Can't Dance, It's Not My
Revolution"
F. a singalong of my recently published (in Jewish Currents) secular
translation of "Shir L'Shalom" by Ya'acov Rotblit & Yair Rozenbloom

Leonard Lehrman, directs the Oceanside Chorale and is Organist for Temple
Isaiah in Great Neck, as well as Reference Librarian at Oyster Bay-East
Norwich Public Library and Director of the Long Island Composers Archive at
Long Island University. He is the editor of The Marc Blitzstein Songbook
(Boosey & Hawkes), and has written about 165 compositions, which have been
heard across Europe, North America, Australia, in Israel, at the United
Nations, and at conventions of the Guild of Temple Musicians, Modern
Language Association, National Opera Association, Sonneck Society, Young
Leadership (Davos), Moscow Youth Festival, and Music Library Association.

Helene Williams, co-founder of the Bronx Opera (with Michael Spierman) and
of The Elie Siegmeister Society and Court Street Music (with Leonard
Lehrman), has performed in all genres across North and South America, Europe
and Australia.  Founder of Accent Reduction In English Speech, she teaches
at Queensborough Community College.  A former member of the Metropolitan
Opera Extra Chorus, Artists International competition finalist, and Bronx
Council on the Arts Award winner, she has recorded on Capstone, Opus One,
Premier, and Original Cast Records.

If you have further questions, email me off list at: pinnolis (at)
brandeis(dot)edu
Judith Pinnolis
Chair, Jewish Music Roundtable of the
Music Library Association