Re: Wood flutes

Hi Mike - and others wishing to know a little about wood flutes,   - -   in
brief,

The flutes we see most often in klezmer bands of the past show the
simple-system mostly. There are a couple that I've seen using the Boehm system
- and
even a not-too-into-the 20th century silver Boehm system. This prompted me to
believe that I was certainly okay in playing these more advanced flutes at the
beginning of my wood flute venture. The sound we hear Kosch and Chazin playing
is that of the wood flute and probably that of a flute which has around 11-13
keys on it, even though we don't really truly need down to low B in the keys
we're playing in. But I will presume that they are probably playing simple
system flutes rather than Boehm. Boehm designed his flute in the 1830's but not
everyone embraced the new design and, even into the 20th century, flutists
didn't
necessarily adopt his design either, holding onto their simple-system. (We
call it that, but it's much harder, of course :-)!!)   If you have any baroque
flute or recorder experience, the simple system will relate to those
instruments.

So, when choosing to make the switch to wood flutes you have to first decide
whether you want to totally switch fingering systems. This is not at all easy
- for me :-) So, if you wish to achieve a fairly close sound but not switch
fingerings you can ease into wood flutes by either purchasing an old Boehm
system flute, cylindrical, or a new prototype of this. The newer ones are far
easier to play, less resistance, but thereby you've changed your purpose.... On
my
CD I offered about 5 different sounds, including the new wood flute. You can
hear the differences. What I hadn't learned yet was the simple system flute and
that's what you heard at KlezKamp. Much harder to play because of the
fingerings and, at this point, low register is weak because I don't know
whether it's
in its best playing shape or it's the limitation of the flute itself. I know
how to "honk" the low register and it's not quite there. It's the best (the
Zimmerman, nice Jewish boy, we "historians" are thinking) I own and I'm still
looking. I just purchased a Bohemian Kohlert and the low register is horrible.
But the pads are old as well, so there's more hope. So, in answer to your
question, and for those wishing to try wood flutes of the nature that was seen
in
the old photos, you have to decide whether you wish to learn the simple system
fingerings as well as how to best achieve the desired tones of the various
wood flutes. As Jeremy pointed out, his experience on the kval may help him in
playing Tilinka. For me this is a totally different animal and I can't spread
myself out any further, so this is also a consideration: do you want to go for
something that fits better what you already do or learn an entirely different
animal.
The Budowitz website shows flutes from the Zimmerman catalogue and explains a
little which ones (the more keys, more advanced flutes) would have been in
use in klezmer bands. Just last week I was truly truly bummed that I was sniped
out of an 11 or 12 key Zimmerman flute on ebay. The ivory head wasn't even
cracked - yet - and the price went zooming.   I was willing to go very high and
thought I had it...
Anyway, hope this all helps!

Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
http://www.klezmerflute.com & http://www.klezband.com
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
http://www.fluteworld.com or http://www.cdbaby.com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->