Re: Tilinka?

Hi -

You could float this inquiry on the East European Folklife Center (EEFC)
list <eefc (at) eefc(dot)org> - I think you need to subscribe first via
www.eefc.org if you are not still subscribed.) At one of EEFC's Balkan
Music & Dance Workshops they even had a tilinka class, and there are a
number of list members who are interested in this music. I remember the
gaggle of guys running around with their pieces of copper pipe - very
convenient for practicing in the pool on a sweltering day.

Speaking of playing end-blown tubes, you could also contact
multi-instrumentalist Paul Morrissett of the Klezmatics (see, I'm on
topic!) - one year at Balkan Camp he was there with a broken/sprained
ankle on crutches; he wowed the crowd by removing the the rubber end cap
from one of his aluminum crutches and playing doinas and other
melodies on that.

HBG