Re: What is a folk song?

I am also reminded of the inimitable Anna Russell's line in "Backwards with
the Folksong (Anna Russell Sings!) -- in which she characterizes the folk
song as "the uncouth vocal utterance of the people, often accompanied by a
simple instrument".

When a people possesses a song, it becomes part of the ethnic memory, and
various versions pop up as imperfect memory takes over.

I think the greatest complement the creators can have is when the song is
perceived as a folk song - examples, Afn Pripitchik, Kinder Yorn, Reyzele,
Rabeynu Taam.  Warshavsky, Gebirtig, Manger have achieved this lofty status,
in my view.

Sylvia Schildt
Baltimore, Maryland

on 1/12/04 11:49 PM, music (at) sterlingmp(dot)org at music (at)