Re: Vibraphone/xylophone/marimba in Klezmer music

At 11:47 AM 1/12/2004, you wrote:
>I've noticed that, especially when I listen to vintage Klezmer recordings,
>that there is a malleted instrument that is a
>Vibraphone/xylophone/marimba, probably a marimba.
>
>I don't recall a discussion of the use of the marimba in Klezmer band
>around the turn of the last century. The sound makes it seems like it is
>an attempt to recreate the sound of the tsimbl with contemporary instruments.

One of the early Klezmer revival bands, the Kleveland Klezmorim recorded
with either marimba or xylophone - I'd have to check the CD at home. And
Kaila Flexer, who organizes the Klezmer Mania concert in Oakland, CA each
year used to include a klezmer marimba band that would form just for the
occasion.

At the time I thought they were riffing on some of the vaudeville sound
effects in some of the early recordings, but also having fun. Both excuses
worked for me ;-).

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/