Educating my PC in Music and Yiddish

I was prepaing to teach an adult ed. class on klezmer and was running some of
my colleagues' papers through my spellchecker (it’s neurotic, I know, but it
offers excellent opportunities for procrastination) and discovered that my PC’
s knowledge of both Yiddish and musicians' terminology has a steep learning
curve.  I enjoyed some of the helpful suggestions that the spellchecker
offered,
and thought I would commit them to paper (since the PC has become much more
erudite since then).  Here are some of the memorable ones.  The first word is
the “misspelling”--the second one is the “Suggested Spelling.”

rubato--rubout
tants--tannest
azoy!--ahoy!
karahod--charred
dreydl--deride
peyes--pees or pewees
sidecurls--sidecars
zemerl--Demerol
unmetered--unfettered or unmatured
melisma--Melissa
Czardas--cards
shayn--sheen or Shaun
tsimbl--thimble
Yid--id
shofar--shower
hazanut--hazelnut
nigunim--ingoing
halakhic--galactic
briss--brass (or bliss)
shnorrers--snorers
tsaytn--tasty
Naftule--Nature
and
fosht (clarinet)--fossil or borsht!

OK, I'll get back to preparing for my class now...

Lori from Maxwell St.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->