The Muse in the Fortress

I am presenting my lecture on the fate of music in Europe during the Third
Reich, at Temple Israel in Alameda.
7:15PM, refreshments then lecture until 9:15/9:30.
suggested contribution:$5

3183 Mecartney Road
Alameda, California 94502
(510) 522-9355

www.templeisraelalameda.org

The Muse in the Fortress: Music during the Shoah

What was the fate of music during the most destructive events of our era? Did
it disappear, as did millions of people?

Or, like many, did it go into hiding? Did it, in the end, rise above the ashes?

This lecture explores the links between the Arts and Politics during the
domination of the Third Reich over Europe.

We first analyze the situation in Germany and its consequence on musicians and
their music. We then move to the ghettos were music was a chronicle of daily
life as well as a tool of resistance. We end the exploration with the very
inspiring story of the ghetto of Theresienstadt were creativity was full blown
in spite of the constant "relocations to the East", which was the name given to
deportation to death camps.

This is a very inspiring lecture about the strength of the human spirit.
Musical excerpts of many unknown composers are played, thus opening doors to an
unsuspected wealth of music creation, that would otherwise be totally fallen
into oblivion, or worse, never discovered.

Born in Paris from Jewish Polish parents, Sylvie Braitman has been a San
Franciscan for 13 years. She received her music performance diploma from the
San Francisco Conservatory of Music She is also a graduate of the prestigious
Political Sciences Institute of Paris. She performs as a mezzo soprano with
local opera companies and has designed various one woman shows in which she
weaves story telling, acting and Yiddish songs

She is well known in the Bay Area as a performer of French Cabaret and has
recorded a second album "Les Demoiselles de Pigalle".

Her research into the history of Music during the Third Reich has developed
into a lecture that she has presented in the Bay Area as well as in Montreal.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->