Re: Vu ikh gey un vu ikh shtey

That too. It's a very useful phrase that covers many occasions and meanings.

Sylvia Schildt
Baltimore, Maryland

on 12/30/03 6:42 PM, Trudi Goodman at goobietheg (at) hotmail(dot)com wrote:

I've also heard it used as idiomatic speech, to mean that something is an
impossible situation.

Comparable in English as "I don't know which way to turn."

Trudi Goodman

>From: Sylvia Schildt
>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Re: Vu ikh gey un vu ikh shtey
>Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:11:01 -0500
>
>It's an idiom with many nuances of meanings. It can mean what is your
>condition, what's going on. It can also mean "everywhere".
>

>I've also heard it used in the context of someone (usually a man for a
>woman) willing to marry someone with no dowry or other financial prospects
>as - ikh vil zi nemen vi zi geyt un vi zi shteyt.
>
>Sylvia Schildt
>Baltimore, Maryland
>

>on 12/30/03 10:52 AM, Dick Rosenberg at mashke (at) comcast(dot)net wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>I have a question for the list.
>
>I often hear in Yiddish lyrics "Vu ikh gey un vu ikh shtey" or "Hershl vu
>geyts du, hershl vu sheyts du". I know enough Yiddish (derived to some
>extent from my college German, which may or may not be accurate), to know
>that it literally translates to "where I go and where I stand", but I
>suspect it has a different meaning.
>
>Can any of the native Yiddish speakers/Yiddish scholars on the list give me
>a better translation/interpretation.
>
>A dank.
>
>Dick Rosenberg

<http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2755??PS=>  ----------------------