Re: copyright

I am happy to share the little knowledge I have about the history of Ethnic
Music. According to the late Samuel Rosenbaum, Executive Vice-President of the
Cantors Assembly, it was founded, I believe, in the early sixties by Norman
Warembud. Ethnic did publish quite a bit of music by Sholom Secunda and Abraham
Ellstein, and a number of items for the Cantors Assembly.

About nine years ago I had been searching for the ms. orchestral score to
Sholom Secunda's Holocaust oratorio YIZKOR. I had no luck finding it or what
was left of the Ethnic catalog. (Yes, I went to NYU's Fales Library and
searched Secunda's collection there.) My contacts with Schirmer, Music Sales,
and Belwyn-Mills were completely confusing due to the bankruptcies, mergers and
acquisitions of these companies. Also, the orchestral rental catalog may be in
different hands than the sheet music catalog.

Again, this is all recall, but Warembud did have a widow, whom I never did
locate. I did have a brief phone conversation with Ellstein's widow, Sylvia, a
few years ago. She lived in downtown NY, although I do not know if she is still
with us. Not sure of her age.

If the Adler you are referring to is Jacob P., I do not believe he wrote music
but was an actor. If the Adler you are referring to is Sam, please contact me
and I will give you contact info. Or, you may leave a message for him at The
Juilliard School, where he teaches composition master classes.

If anyone would care to follow through on this, I would be curious as to what
you find out RE: the Ethnic catalog, particularly where the excess scores are
located.

Eliott Kahn

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998