Re: copyright

Dear Eve,

Thanks for writing back so quickly.

In a message dated 12/29/03 8:49:30 PM, SICULAR (at) aol(dot)com writes:

>Steve,
>
>you may have misunderstood me: you still have to pay the rights fee, but
>you
>go right to the owner rather than through Harry Fox if it's less than 5,000
>
>copies. if I'm wrong, then Music Sales Corp has been very cooperative on
>this
>basis for several CDs with us.

Dear Eve:

I'm afraid that you are incorrect. First of all, you always have to pay
mechanical royalties to the copyright owner--we both agree on that--unless the
copyright owner agrees to waive mechanical royalties, which they have the power
do. Secondly, no one has to use the Harry Fox Agency as the intermediary for
*any* recording. The American Music Publishers Association set up the Fox
agency as a clearing house for any publisher that chooses to join (not all
publishers even belong to Harry Fox). It was and is a convenient way for
publishers
to collect royalties from people using copyrighted material. It is also a
relatively convenient way for a someone who is issuing a CD to contact all of
the
publishers (or the current owners of copyright) in one place. To insure that
the Fox Agency makes a minimum profit for their efforts, they require a minimum
payment for 500 (not 5000) CDs, and they require this payment in full and in
advance of sales--no matter how many you sell. Even if you are only pressing
100, you must pay as if you are pressing 500 *in full and in advance.*
Obviously, if you are pressing more than 500, you are paying in advance for the
total
number that you are pressing.

But, and here is the big but: you have the right to contact the copyright
owners of the songs yourself and *negotiate* a fee for mechanical royalties for
each copyrighted song you use no matter how many or fee CDs you are pressing.
You do not have to use the Fox Agency at all. Legally you will never pay more
than the statutory rate, but you can negotiate a lesser fee, or no fee at all
(talk to the permissions department at the publishers in question). You always
pay the statutory (highest ) rate at Fox (even though they themselves have
probably negotiated a lesser fee). Not only that, if you do this on your own,
you
are only liable to pay royalties on those recordings *sold* or otherwise
disposed of (given away free for promotion, for example), and *after* (not
before)
they have been sold. If you only sell three copies, that's all you pay
royalties on.

So it's your choice. Do the legwork yourself, and possibly pay much less in
royalties, or shop at the one stop Fox Agency and pay in full and in advance
for the convenience.

I hope that I have been clear here. I didn't see the original question, but I
was reacting to the minimum number that is required by the Fox Agency. And
that is only 500, to the best of my knowledge.

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett
Composer/Arranger/Producer