-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of rar (at)
slavic(dot)umass(dot)edu
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 8:03 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Resurrection (was Shnirele Perele)

Quoting Michel Borzykowski <borzykowski (at) infomaniak(dot)ch>:

> Thanks, Bob, for these interesting variations...
> Would you please be so kind to translate:
> uvo letsion goyeyl venoymar
>
> Any comments about the idea of resurrection of the deads in the Jewish
> culture /religion?

Thanks to Irwin Oppenheim for responding to Michal's first request.  As for
the second, I must leave the answer to list members more qualified than I.
tongue-in-cheek answer, however, can be found in the opening paragraphs of
Isaac Bashevis Singer's speech to the Nobel Prize banquet in 1978, in which
he
addressed the question of why he continued to write in Yiddish, a "dying
language" (see http://www.nobel.se/literature/laureates/1978/singer-
speech.html):

"[I also believe] in resurrection. I am sure that millions of Yiddish
speaking
corpses will rise from their graves one day and their first question will
be: 'Is there any new Yiddish book to read?' For them Yiddish will not be
dead."

Bob