p.s. copyright

just comparing a couple more notes on this subject:

for the covers we've recorded, I have not found that each copyright-holding
company is so easy to get hold of, or that they're particularly interested in
being contacted by small producers. Steve's informed response is about the Fox
Agency minimum of 500 paid-up copies for licensing fees, a minimum which he
points out can be circumvented by not going through Harry Fox. the other
(5,000)
figure was one which I brought up *not* as any kind of minimum number for
which a per-copy rate would be paid; rather, it was a level below which the
rights-holder asked to be contacted directly rather than sending producers to
the
Fox Agency. in our case, a run of 1000 was not given any discounts but was
licensed as 1000 x current statutory rate.

Steve's points about negotiating rates, and paying only for sold &/or promo
copies rather than produced copies are excellent.  still, at least in my
limited experience, certain copyright owners don't have any easily accessible pe
rmissions department. in fact, if my memory serves, sometimes all they have is
weblink to HFA.  any more comments are quite welcome on this -- inside info is
hard to get!!
- e v e  s i c u l a r  -
drummer/bandleader
ISLE OF KLEZBOS &