Re: Sarah Aroeste

You know, I overspoke. What makes Aroeste's recording special isn't her
voice, which is good, but not astounding. But the arrangements and the way
that she has made the old sound fresh and new, are very very nice. But
that's me - I'm not particularly a traditionalist. I just want to hear
music that sounds good, and I'm always a sucker for things that sound like
they belong in the here and now.

I think the rabbi that was on NPR with Aroeste last week nailed it when he
said that when new work is created in an old language, it is a sign that
the language is living. These aren't new songs (except for the
only-a-century-old concept that the title track is "traditional Jewish
Sephardic melody," perhaps ;-)), but the rhythms are very current from all
over the sounds that we dance to today, and I think, very well done.

P.S. Yasmeen Levy I know of, but who is "Suzy"?

ari