Re: Another lyrics question

At 08:42 AM 12/19/03, lucy_fisher (at) timemagazine(dot)com wrote:
>Does anyone have the Yiddish lyrics to a song from Yidl mitn Fidl. It's
>the one they sing in a courtyard once Tauba has joined them.

It's indeed a beautiful little song that I remembered liking but not seeing
anywhere, so I just transcribed.  I've "kashered" the singer's Galitzyaner
"Kh'vel yetst enk zugn" in the second verse.  BTW there's a cute error in
the last line of the film's subtitles; the translator must have heard
"vunder" instead of "hunger," which yielded "wonder" in the English.  (The
error could also have resulted from a misreading of the word "wander"
[='vogl'].)

TROYERLID fun YIDL MITN FIDL
Oy, hert zikh ayn, mayne libe mentshn,
Oy, hert zikh ayn tsu mayn troyerik lidl;
Fun vanen nemt zikh, zogt mir, aza groysn veytik
In aza kleynem kleynem fidl?

Kh'vel itst aykh zogn, mayne libe mentshn,
Kh'vel itst aykh zingen, ale, oyfn oyer,
Oy, vi der fidl veyst dem dales fun dem klezmer,
Zayn hunger, zayn vogl, zayn troyer.

LAMENT from YIDL MITN FIDL
Oh, listen, dear people
Oh, listen to my sad song;
How, tell me, can such great pain
Fit into such a small fiddle?

I will tell you, my dear people;
Listen as I sing for all of you
How the fiddle knows the Klezmer's poverty,
His hunger, his wandering and his sorrow.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ