Association for Jewish Studies Conference

 H i everyone,

I am forwarding this from another list I'm on (AJS Sephardi/Mizrahi Studies
Caucus Discussion List). I've picked out the sessions that might be of interest
to jewish-music members.

Here's a link with conference info:

http://www.brandeis.edu/ajs/Conference%20Information%202003.html

 I am pleased to announce that this year¹s Association for Jewish Studies
conference features no less than *12* sessions either partly or fully
devoted to Sephardi and Mizrahi themes. Show your support and interest by your
attendance and
active participation in the question and answer periods.

5) 3.8: ³Music and Theater in Sephardi and Mizrahi Culture²
Chair: Kay K. Shelemay (Harvard University)
Session 3, Sunday, December 21, 2003 1:45 P.M.­3:45 P.M.

The Rise of the Ladino Theater in the Ottoman Empire
Olga Borovaia (Russian State University for the Humanities)

Sounds of Emancipation: Shaping Jewish Identity through Music
in Nineteenth-Century Italy
Francesco Spagnolo (Universit? Statale di Milano)

`?Ay Paxarico!': Ladino Songs and Mystical Hebrew Poetry
Vanessa Paloma (Los Angeles, CA)

>From Raja Mashiah to the Sion Sangam:
Indian Cultural Elements in Cochin Jewish Women's Zionist Songs
Barbara C. Johnson (Ithaca College)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->