Re: Rule, Britannia...

Hard to know how to respond to this or even whether to.  You either
obviously know that my reference is to Handel's oratorio, in which case
your comeback is utterly bizarre or you don't know which would be sad,
particularly since you appear to agree with my point although for reasons
based on nothing more than speculation.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering but:

1)  Handel's oratorio Messiah was composed with an overtly Christian
agenda.  Then and now, certain Christians have used their readings of OT
texts to further their own agendas to the detriment of Jews.

2)  18th British readings who Jews were vastly differed between OT Jews
and their contemporaries.  If Handel's oratorios don't demonstrate that,
try some metaphysical poetry from the previous century.

3)  The various Protestant movements that founded the US incorporated
notions of choseness and Zion in ways that European churches did not.
Cotton Mather even prayed in a kipa.  If either the Catholic Church  of
the C of E (which regarded itself as a Catholic rather than a Protestant
Church then and to some extent now) made explicit references to chosenness
analogous to Jewish theology, I'd be genuinely interested to learn what
they are.

4)  There are many reasons OT themes might be used in oratorios.  They
were conceived as popular, commercial entertainment and competed with
Italian opera.  Theatrical potential is one possibility, an elegant
tradition of OT English via the King James Bible another.  Chosenness is
not one I've heard.  If there's evidence of any Jewish role in British
popular entertainment in the early 18th century, I'd be interested in what
it was.