venue struggles & audience sizes

first of all ~ hoping the latest news augurs well for peace.

I think there are different, very particular issues and circumstances as far
as club and concert attendance.  it's interesting to me to compare how Tonic's
non-klezmer brunch shows (six nights a week) are doing. the club has built a
devoted listenership and reputation for great, innovative programming. they,
like Barbes, do retro movie nights on Mondays to keep momentum without simply
booking live music for the sake of it every evening, or going dark. Tonic, like
Barbes, has built actual community support starting from their very
artistically-involved, levelheaded and devoted owners. and some klezmer
brunches do
well. but it's hard for out-of-town klezmer artists on a one-shot deal at Tonic
to get the houses they'd like when it's not KlezCamp aftermath or some other
auspicious date... occasionally the grapevine kicks in for particular visiting
bands. still, it's a way to play NYC if you wouldn't otherwise have a booking
with an honest, well-run venue (they even have a way-better house drumset and
full back-line amps these days) that has its own built-in basic p.r.  I think
the club pulls back on their support though when they see diminishing returns;
for instance they used to have more of an actual brunch menu to go along with
the Lower East Side locale.

one wonderful gig which we got right after September 11, 2001, which lasted
that year and one more but disappeared this year, was very successful for us,
but was part of a holiday programming bill that had to survive as all or
nothing unfortunately.  Metropolitan Klezmer played Caramoor Center in Northern
Westchester, the full eight-piece band, two matinees on a Sunday in December...
both shows both years either sold out the room completely (2pm) or within a
dozen seats or so (4pm).  It was the first time they'd booked klezmer in there,
and they were very happy with us financially and artistically. but still the
promo and all had to cover an entire series which didn't do well enough, so no
three-peat this year. it could come back, I hope it will. it's a prestige venue
and they have relatively high overhead for production and p.r., an excellent
room with good press placement.  and this turnout coincided with an annual KCB
Hanuka billing I believe at SUNY Purchase College not far down the road.

Again though, this was a special Hanuka featured show. during the rest of the
year, things can be very hit & miss for ticket sales, esp. on weeknights.
And we can't play out publically on weekends unless it pays enough, since
that's
when our musicians are likely to get real income gigs for private events,
whether with klezmer or something else.  so committing to any prime date far
enough ahead for programming and publicity purposes involves the presenter
being
willing to make enough of a commitment.  being a producer/club owner or manager
involves a tremendous amount of risk, aggravation and sometimes gratification
and profit.  I've heard that the (Western MA) Iron Horse will not even
consider klezmer shows the last few years after disappointing attendance even
for
the Matix and NOKA.  and that was before 2001.

sometimes a show can succeed for the band but not the club -- don't get me
wrong, we could all die of exposure, but some showcasing is worth it -- and
sometimes the club does well on a basis that couldn't sustain the band (like
when
we had a fabulously attended release event in trendy Williamsburg on a
"klezmer night" which we could never afford to play again, since the guarantee
amount
would only have worked for a small combo... that Galapagos klezmer slot
disappeared before long, but our night they were surprised to have to pay us an
extra pittance, since 10% of the bar sales actually did exceed their guarantee).

Finally, my experience with klezmer club shows teaches me one thing for sure:
if there's a minimum table charge, best to allow the patron to cover that by
ordering either food or drink rather than just drink... and that can be good
for customer satisfaction, but the profit margin in these places is always
highest on the drinks, whether alcoholic or not.  other than that, I don't know
what a careful study of this subject really shows!

If the Bottom Line does close, I wonder where some of their regular acts will
now play? and how will those venues do better at staying in business and
creating a comfortable and professionally-run atmosphere?

Another venue issue, more for festival/non-profit/JCC type places, is when
subsidies decline. That doesn't affect your average club, but does affect
klezmer touring. Less to do with simple attendance numbers than with government
allocations/policy and foundation/stock market doings. not that those shows
wouldn't have to be profitable overall, but those producers can afford certain
booking risks which purely commercial places can't.  These places are hurting
now,
not just the for-profit venues. And often the club appearances would have to
work as "routing" stops which fill in the dates between these more
financially-cushioned dates. Sometimes the merchandise sales make the
difference in
whether artists' costs are covered.
- e v e  s i c u l a r  -
drummer/bandleader