RE: Shrinking audiences?

In a message dated 12/13/2003 4:51:35 PM Central Standard Time,
seth(dot)rogovoy (at) verizon(dot)net writes:

Have the professional performing musicians on this list noticed a definite
drop at the box office since last spring?

There is a critical drop in the number of touring offers that big, unwieldy
bands like ours are receiving.  One hopes it is temporary, but who knows?

I have a feeling that this is the case across the board, but that
bandleaders are shy to admit it because it gives comfort to their
competitors and leads to the question of whether they are still as hot a
band as they used to be.  Having a lot of confidence that our band has never
sounded better, I am confident when I say: It's the economy, stupid.

Lori: Thanks for having the courage to be the first to admit this. I
realized when I asked this question that some might prefer not to 'fess up
to this problem exactly for that sort of fear. I'm sure, as you suggest, it
has nothing to do with lessened interest in your particular style of music
or decline of quality, either. As I say, reports in the concert business
across the board have been poor. it is definitely the economy (although how
come the official government statistics keep talking about a great rebound?
that's certainly not happening here in western Mass.).

--seth

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->