From Deborah Strauss re. Duo Concert w/ Zev Feldman (Shers)

Deborah's quote via Ari:

"I have to say a couple of things. For one thing, we got our beat by
watching Zev moved his hand in dance rhythm. This was a revelation to me
because we so often play them too fast. Zev reminds us to play this to
dance. And the second thing, which is related, is that we used to just play
each section, then go on to the next. And as we rehearsed we have learned
that these don't just go from one to the other - they must fit to the beat,
and where the dance is."

Dear All,

Thanks for all of the positive comments about the Strauss/Warschauer Duo
concert with Zev Feldman last Monday night at Columbia.  It was indeed an honor
be performing with Zev and to be playing for such a heymish and knowledgeable
audience!

Just a few clarifications about some of the things I "said" that night:

1.  Yes, we were setting the tempo via Zev's hand -- as he turned it palm up
then palm down in a dance gesture.  Zev has very specific thoughts as to the
range of tempos that work for shers (note here that I'm saying RANGE -- not
just one right tempo but a range of tempos that work).   Perhaps as a result of
today's fast-paced society, the "klezmer-revival" tendency has been to play
certain kinds of tunes too fast, in my opinion.  But I really think that's
changing.  --So many people are delving into traditional musical models and
also
connecting more with traditional dancing.

2.  My comment about going from section to section in Morris Fried's
Philadelphia Shers also needs clarification:  The Philadelphia Shers are
amazing.
Each section is a little gem -- and the ways the sections relate to one another
is very interesting.  And they're VERY violinistic, to boot.  But my point in
the concert was not to relate them to the sections of the dance but to speak
about them as we were then playing them -- for listening.  Usually, I think
about the forward motion of klezmer tunes.  In a freylekhs, for example, one
generally wants to keep the rhythm and melodic phrasing "moving through" on
repeats
and at the ends of sections.

But Zev talks about the PAUSES between sections (and also within sections) in
certain tunes and in certain situations (for instance, when one plays a zhok
for listening, not dancing)  I find this very illuminating as performance
practice.

On Monday, we didn't so much break the rhythm between sections as we let each
section come to rest and resolution melodically.  So the shers as we
performed them that night were still good for dancing.

3.  Finally, I'm so glad Steve W.  wrote about the sher we learned from Naomi
Lasher at Circle Lodge this summer.  Just to clarify something about the
music  -- Naomi did remember different melodies for different sections she and
her
other KinderRing counselors had danced to.  But perhaps the most significant
point was that she remembers using the same melody each time the dancers would
circle in the promenade.  I think she said that they even sang along.  It
sounds like it was a lot of fun.

As I said, she remembers other specific melodies for other sections, but
these seem to have had more flexibility -- as long as they had the right number
of
measures.  And of course, this is only one particular time and situation, but
a very illuminating and inspiring one nonetheless!

Hope my thoughts help --

All the best,
Deborah