Re: Take Two : Portuguese-Sephardic recordings

Hi, Simon and all.

I have not taken an exhaustive look at this subject, but here's what I
know. I will not recap the three Shearith Israel CDs just released, since I
forwarded a press release on same recently, nor the recent Roten release.

SHEARITH ISRAEL (NY) AND RELATED
Cardozo, Abraham Lopes
Worked in the Sp-Port. idiom. Series on Tara Publications.

Re-releases forthcoming

Choral Music of Congregation Shearith Israel
CD of selections.

The current Hazan, Ira Rohde, has a three cassette tape on Shabbat davening.

SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE SYNAGOGUE (BEVIS MARKS) (LONDON)

Music of the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue (Bevis Marks)
Smithsonian Folkways (now available on CD)

Choir of the Spanish & Portuguese Jews' Congregation, London
Sephardi Melodies Live From Bevis Marks Synagogue (Montefiore Anniversary
Concert)

OTHER

Sp. Swerling, Norman P.
Romemu - Exalt!
National Multimedia Services

Roten, Hervé
Musiques Liturgiques Juives
Cité de la musique/Actes Sud
Book/CD combination. Don't know if it's still in print. Some songs from the
Sp-Port. tradition

Rodriges Pereira, M. M.
Torah Cantillations accodgin to the Spansih and Portuguese Custom

At 02:46 PM 10/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Sam and List memebers.
>
>I also think this is a beautiful recording and deserves a larger audience.
>
>I have had many requests for "any Portuguese, Ladino- Sephardic" recordings,
>however have had very little luck in locating any other than the one
>mentioned
>in Sam's review, and a cassette, "Music of the Spanish and Portuguese
>Synagogue" which was originally on the Folkways label.
>
>If anyone knows of any other "Portuguese" recordings, I would be very
>grateful if you could notify me as I would very much like to add them to
>our catalog.
>
>Thank You
>Simon
>Hatikvah Music
>323) 655-7083
><< I just had the opportunity to listen to a French recording I got from
>Hatikvah Music, "Musiques de la Synagogue de Bordeaux: Rite Portugais."
>which features several Sephardic cantors and a wonderful male choir with a
>sound not unlike the presentation by Mr. Mehler's choir.  From the musical
>content as well as the liner notes it is clear that there was much
>conscious synagogue composition in the prevailing operatic idiom.  (Judith
>Cohen had referred to this as well.)  And it is quite likely that such
>pieces travelled between the various Portuguese Sephardic communities in
>Europe.  But my main purpose in writing this is to recommend the CD.  It is
>  >>

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420