Re: Take Two : Portuguese-Sephardic recordings

Dear Sam and List memebers.

I also think this is a beautiful recording and deserves a larger audience.

I have had many requests for "any Portuguese, Ladino- Sephardic" recordings,
however have had very little luck in locating any other than the one mentioned
in Sam's review, and a cassette, "Music of the Spanish and Portuguese
Synagogue" which was originally on the Folkways label.

If anyone knows of any other "Portuguese" recordings, I would be very
grateful if you could notify me as I would very much like to add them to our
catalog.

Thank You
Simon
Hatikvah Music
323) 655-7083
<< I just had the opportunity to listen to a French recording I got from
Hatikvah Music, "Musiques de la Synagogue de Bordeaux: Rite Portugais."
which features several Sephardic cantors and a wonderful male choir with a
sound not unlike the presentation by Mr. Mehler's choir.  From the musical
content as well as the liner notes it is clear that there was much
conscious synagogue composition in the prevailing operatic idiom.  (Judith
Cohen had referred to this as well.)  And it is quite likely that such
pieces travelled between the various Portuguese Sephardic communities in
Europe.  But my main purpose in writing this is to recommend the CD.  It is