Di Grine Katshke!

I know I may be a little late on this one, but as I was wandering
around Hatikvah finding the Crakow Klezmer Band CD, I also came across
the lovely CD full of Yiddish children's songs called "Di Grine
Katshke!"  Many of the songs are sung by the angel voice of Lorin
Sklamberg, though there is also a guest appearance or two by Adrienne
Cooper and Henry Sapoznik.

I feel in love instantly with the thick, luscious slathering of Paula
Teitelbaum's voice, full of longing and loss in songs like "A Feygele
in Harbst," and the haunting farblondzhet feel of "Geven a mol a
Meydele."  Where can I find more of Paula Teitelbaum's singing???

Henry's singing on "Di Grine Katshke" is cartoony and wonderful and
it's one of the most fun and enjoyable tunes on the CD, though "Tshimba
Rimba" with all of its great animal sounds (have you ever heard a horse
tell you to drop dead?!?  And *who* is that hun singing "Tende-Varende?
Hilarious!)  might either tie or come in at a very close second!

If you don't have it already, it's Yiddish music both you and your
little ones will love, but it's also excellent if you're starting to
lern zikh Yidish, since most of the songs are about animals and contain
simple Yiddish words and phrases which are easy to understand for a
beginner!  You may well even love it just because of the beauty of the
music, which easily reflects all of the hard work and thought that was
put into tracking down the words, connecting them to the correct
melodies and resulting an a wholly joyful and nicely produced
collection of children's songs which might have otherwise been lost
forever.  The liner notes are very informative and there's even a
songbook that can be ordered to accompany the CD!  Well done!  :)

Jill