Re: transcription software

>I don't know jeff....I got to say that Audacity seems a bit better, it does
>more.

Jeremy, you glutton.  Maybe I'll check it out, tho I will say that when I find
a piece of software that does what I need it to do I stop looking - otherwise
it becomes WORK and detracts from playing time.

But these are all miracles, working partly from the same research and
mostly from modern machine speeds and prices.

When I worked in digital sound in the early 1990's, we could change
pitch and speed independantly, but you needed access to a good University
computer in one of the few computer music labs, and you had to to master
arcane subjects like linear predictive coding.  Then you had to write
oodles of impenetrable code in to deconstruct the sound file, let it
run for a day or two, then write more code to reconstruct it modified
the way you wanted, and let it run for a day or two.

And that's when you realize you left out a comma and created 5 minutes
of inaudible sound.  {If a soundfile falls in the forest and it's above
the Nyquist frequecy, can yo do the hora to it?)

Or, if you were content with less adequate results, there was coding
up a vocorder to do it differently.  You could get lousy results faster.
But it was simpler.

In any case, the toys of today are so far beyond what I even DREAMED of
ten years ago.  And yet, I'm still doing struck strings (back in my
computer music days I did big struck string orchestras with Karplus
Strong plucked string algorithm.  Now I play tsimbl instead.)

So, whatever floats yer boat, use it.  Just be sure to pay the people
who do the work for us.  Lo teeg nov!
--
r l reid        ro (at) rreid(dot)net