Contemporary "Oriental" music

Hi everyone,

Concerning the question about "Oriental" music, I didn't really catch if the
music considered for classification is traditional or modern....something which
might have some bearing on the kind of answers you might get! My main point of
reference when it comes to Jewish music is contemporary "Oriental" pop music
(and that's about the only thing I ever post about here, so forgive me for
repeating myself!;-)). If you go to a web site like israel-music, you'll see
that the style of music that is usually referred to as "musica Mizrahit" falls
under the title "Oriental", while spanish-language music goes under the title
"Ladino" (and strangely enough, there is also a category "Jewish", which would
imply that "Oriental" is somehow *not* Jewish...). On the other hand,
"Oriental" lumps together both old-time and pop music-for example, you'll find
both Moroccan wedding music and the latest hits from Sarit Hadad in the
Oriental section.

To complicate matters even more, much Israeli popular "oriental" music does not
have, at least to these ears, a very pronounced oriental sound; for example,
the early records by people like Shimi Tavori (who is Yemenite) or the
contributions to the Oriental Song Festival sound a lot like the Italian/French
"schlager" music of the era, with a slight oriental "leavening". On the other
hand, you have someone like nineties artist Ofer Levi (of Turkish/Syrian
background) whose music is very close to Arab music. It seems as though the
"oriental" tag really refers to the artists (most of whom are of Yemenite or
North African descent) and/or the main audiences for this style (which probably
fit into the Iraeli "edot ha-mizrakh"?), rather than any specific musical
characteristics. If there is any defining musical characteristic, to my ears it
would be the melismatic style of singing, which is clearly different from the
singing style of Israeli mainstream/rock artists, while the musical backing may
differ quite a lot from from era to era and from artist to artist (until quite
lately, when I have the impression of a kind of general "sound " which has
become a tad too homogenized/poppy for my tastes!).

Another defining feature of many CDs by "Oriental" artists is that they mix
quite a lot of styles on their CDs; on some tracks they pay hommage to their
background by singing traditional Yemenite, Kurdish etc. tunes, then you get
the ubiquitous Greek and Turkish covers, and after that some straight pop
balladry. There are also artists, like Shlomi Saranga, who make a good living
recording only Greek music, in the Greek language-in what category would you
put their music??-well, in Israeli it's considered "Oriental"!;-)

(Just as an aside-in an interview with Yehuda Poliker's producer, said producer
stated that he was dismayed at first when he learned that Poliker wanted to
record an album with Greek bouzouki songs. I had to admit that I was rather
flabbergasted by this statement, until I realized that the bouzouki in the
minds of members of the Israeli rock establishment probably was considered "low
class" because of its connection to "musica Mizrahit"!)

In fact, Amy Horowits has a whole list of various categories of Musica Mizrahit
styles in her dissertation....something which makes categorization even more
difficult, I imagine!

Maybe modern-day "Oriental" music, unlike the more undiluted (?) traditional
musics, is really a hybrid of styles-which makes it difficult to categorize
along traditional lines. But then again, maybe traditional music is what you're
dealing with-which makes my long ramblings quite superfluous!;-))

I am aware of the problems concerning labels such as "traditional" and "ethnic"
music, but I hope you'll understand what I mean.

All the best, Eva

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->