medieval

> > Can anyone here give a clear definition of what
> > "medieval" Jewish music is supposed to mean, either
> > in time, space, or practice?

All depends on your definition of medieval. If it's the standard
historical Europe-based definition of roughly 500-1500 C.E. then
medieval Jewish music is that wonderful music in many countries of which
we have lots of allusions, but no notated samples whatsoever except the
early 12th century fragments by Ovadiah ha-Ger, a converted priest,
discussed in a thread here a couple of years ago.

but I don't really know what your question is supposed to mean, in time,
space, or practice....
Judith