Re: at the ballgame

I always get very good teaching evaluations, but there's an internet 'service'
that posts negative evals about faculty across the country and my are always
quite the opposite of the official ones, which are actually far more anonymous.
One of the complaints I get and quite virulently is that I'm Jewish.  They also
don't care much for the fact that I'm short and that I discuss issues of race in
my rock music class, where it's nearly impossible not to (it's in the textbook,
as well).  Seems that in Minnesota, many students consider any discussion of
race or ethnicity to be 'racist'.  Proper MN protocol is to pretend one doesn't
notice.  The movie 'Fargo' pretty much sums up MN passive aggression, albeit a
tad hyperbolically.  Hardly a surprise that it's the product of the Coen
brothers, originally from St. Louis Park, MN (Al Franken, too).