Re: Edward Said, Daniel BArenboim

What makes their coverage of Jewish music a 'non-issue'?  What makes this
thread 'flailing'?

BTW, among those of us who do work around Wagner's anti-Semitism, Barenboim
has quite a reputation as an apologist.  In Israel (according to Naama
Sheffi, an Israeli historian who has an essay on Wagner in Israel in the book
I'm editing), he has a reputation for making a larger claim of Israeli
identity than he deserves and using it only to criticize Israel in ways that
even a leftist like my colleague Naama find disturbing.  I don't suppose this
negates this project with Said (there have been others), but it goes on the
balance with everything else, a lot of which doesn't provoke the senses in a
positive way.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music and Jewish Studies