Mel Gibson, The New York Times and Jewish Music

In light of the discussion, which as usual has gone astray, I thought I'd keep
it astray and at the same time throw my two cents into the ring by sharing a
letter I recently sent to Frank Rich of the New York Times.  One thing it will
prove, is that I have an enormous ego, but since you already have probably
figured that out try and overlook that element while reading my missive so that
you can catch my larger point.  I'll add a little post script to this at the
end of the note.
  Dear Mr. Rich,

  I've been reading and appreciating your written work for the NYTimes since
you were a theater critic.  I am writing to you now because I cannot seem to
get the attention of the music staff of the Times and I am at my wit's end
about this.

  I don't think the music staff at the Times is anti-Semitic but they have,
over and over, neglected or simply not discussed music by openly Jewish
musicians in a way that I find troublesome.  In light of the current
controversy that has been raised by MGibson's movie, it is troublesome to me,
as a working Jewish musician, that the Times can spend columns and columns
discussing a film that has the potential to incite anti-Semitism, but cannot
find either ink or Arts Column space to review recordings or performances by
Jewish musicians.  Jon Pareles recently wrote a lengthy article on worthwhile
current world music releases. It was nearly two full pages in length.  There
was not even one Jewish album reviewed.  Meanwhile I can think of at least four
major pieces, including two by you, about the upcoming Mel Gibson movie.

  Last month I released The Days of Awe, an album of music for the Jewish High
Holy Days.  It is the first such album ever released by a jazz musician.  It
has gotten some attention in the Jewish press, but I can't get even an
acknowledgement of receipt of the CD from the New York Times Arts desk (I sent
about six copies of the recording to various members of the Music Staff).
You'd think in a city as filled with Jewish people as it is, that the New York
Times would at least address this new recording, even if it was to skewer it
and give it a bad review.

  I find this disparity discomforting, but it is also not  unique to the New
York Times.  I live in the New Haven area and  review copies were also sent to
the local papers, The New Haven Advocate, and the New Haven Register.  Follow
ups to these papers netted an acknowlegement of receipt, but there was no sense
of a time-line for a review.  "We're planning on reviewing it" said one
reporter, "but maybe in November when it is closer to New Years."  It took a
lot of explaining to help him understand that the New Years of this CD is in
September!!

  Anyway, I digress to make my point.

  I'd be happy to send you a copy of the recording, if you are interested in
hearing it.  I am frustrated, because the NYTimes always has time for Mel
Gibson, it always has time for the Christian rockers, there is even an article
on the front page of the Arts section about the presence of God on new TV
shows, but there are no pieces  for the work that I, or the many, many other
Jewish musicians and singers who are playing sacred Jewish music of all forms.

  You were probably not the right person to vent to, but your piece, which is
so well written, hit a vein.  Please keep writing about Gibson and similar
issues, but let's see some positive pieces about people like me who are making
positive creative statements for their people.

  Best wishes,

  David Chevan

  The Afro-Semitic Experience
  PO Box 6183
  Whitneyville, CT 06517
  www.chevan.addr.com
  (203)287-5446

  Here's the post script.  Since writing that note (which I sent as an e-mail)
I have not heard back from Mr. Rich, but I have heard from Ben Ratliff from
whom an e-mail arrived earlier this morning, he writes "thanks for the album,
which I do like.  I have no plans at the moment for reviewing it at this very
moment . . ."

  So it would appear that the NYTimes continues to do its best to maintain it's
perfect record for reviewing new Jewish recordings.

  In contrast both the New Haven Advocate
(http://newhavenadvocate.com/gbase/Music/content?oid=oid:34883) and the New
Haven Register (in tomorrow's edition) have decided to run reviews.

   . . . . . .and I thought New York was the center of American Jewish Culture.

  DC

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->