Re: honesty

Judith is correct of course.  All music is ethnic in that it comes from
folks who have cultural backgrounds.  We can try to parse things out between
oral and notated traditions, but that quickly gets us into other quandries.
For example, Patricia Sheehan-Campbell has written about the degree to which
the greatest Western classical violinists have studied with a handful of
great teachers who transmit an oral tradition of the interpretation of
notated works.  On the other hand, the transmission of 'oral tradition'
musics often relies extensively on notation.  Much of what I know about
playing the blues (a passion I share with lots of Jewish musicians) comes
from my collections of transcriptions into tablature by (surprise!) Stefan
Grossman, who apprenticed with guitarist Reverend Gary Davis.  The term
ethnic is one I used as convenient rather than definitive, one most of us
seem to agree on as a reasonably safe identifier.  Taxonomy is a very blunt
instrument.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music and Jewish Studies