From: glenn tamir
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: The cost of Jewish communal responsibility

It's a cop-out to say that Vouchers would damage the public school system.
Let's examine the "reality" of the situation:

1.  My three children are NOT in the public school system.  If they had been,
surely there would have been a cost involved to educate them.  Therefore, by
them NOT being there SOME cost savings can be realized anf the school district
should be able to plan accordingly - especially if they are given advance
notice.

The issue then becomes "how much" would be an appropriate amount.  Should it be
$100.00, $1,000.00 per year?  I don't know.  I do know that given an
intelligent and un-biased investigation, there must be a way to come to an
equitable solution.

<cut>
I've heard the same argument before, in various forms.  For instance: "I have
no children in school, so why should I pay school taxes?"

The public schools are a benefit to society.  What kind of a country would we
have if only those who could afford tuition went to school?  The problem, in my
mind, is funding schools mainly out of property taxes.  In theory, the amount
of property one owns is related to ones income.  But in many cases, it is only
related to past income.

KLEZSKA - part of the next wave in Jewish music www.klezska.com