Re: On and off topic: The next computer virus and  Old/New World  klezmer

Exactly: "a modern equivilent for an earlier music"
Although you didn't mention "FleytMuzik" in your list, for me it was an
obvious way to go, this harkening back to an earlier sound. We saw flutes in
photos, saw them listed in recordings, yet we could only really hear what the
flute
truly sounded like when we got down to the bare bones of flute and tsimbl a-la
Kosch and Chazin. Once the ensemble employed the likes of the clarinet,
trumpets, trombones, the flute had to fight its way through the masses. I felt
the
real need to bring back that solo voice, on original instruments, not to
simply be historical about it but to allow the   flute to be heard for its own
powerful voice, and more as the solo melodic instrument.

I also happen to gravitate to the tsimbl's sound, and the combination of it
with the transparent sounds of the fidl and bass for color and support. For me
it was also an easy segue because of my traditional background in classical
music, already comfortable with baroque repertoire on period instruments such
as
the one-keyed flute, for example.

Overall, I think there's this leaning towards the smaller, less "
swing-pop-oriented music of the first waves of New Klez (i.e., the Klezmorim,
KCB,
Kapleye, not to mention all the jazz-and-other-hyphenate bands)" in an effort
bring out the true essence of the klezmer tunes in a more transparent, intimate
setting, for both historical and pure-enjoyment reasons.

(But, George, if yer gonna quote anything about "FleytMuzik" I'd MUCH rather
you quote from Ari's review, for example, since I write rather poorly and he
was so eloquent....)

Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
www.klezmerflute.com
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->