Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 2710

Hey Christian,

In Merlin's clarinet class at Klez Kamp two years ago, we discussed
many of the ornaments he uses, which included the finger vibrato.
The particular example he gave us to practice was fingering a B
above the staff and trilling the G# key (it works on my Bb Buffet,
though I think Merlin also uses the C Albert). You're absolutely
right that it almost doesn't change the pitch, but is more of a
tambre-vibrato. Merlin encouraged us to play around on our own and
see what other fingerings we could come up with for various keys.
Any other people on the list from the class have recollections of
that discussion? (Dena, were you there for that?)

Sid Beckerman's trills in that range were almost exclusively the
bottom two side keys with the right hand (check out the wide trills
in particular on the D minor Freylekhs on Klezmer Plus!). That's
how Pete Sokolow trills on clarinet, too. David Krakauer told me in
a lesson that he usually trills exactly a half-step up. Either way,
I think the finger trill is mostly a European thing and not as
prevalent in American klezmer clarinet.

As long as I'm piping in, I'd like to add my name to the list of
Howie admirers and mourners. Though one can't say enough about the
man, I think I'll just second everything that's appeared here so
far. Amazing, warm soul, and that came through loud and clear on
the other side of his horn.

Good night all,

-Alex

clarinetist, the Klez Dispensers