Klezmatics on Sex...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Klezmatics to Appear on HBO's Sex and the City on August 10
Klezmer pioneers, The Klezmatics, known for blurring the lines of tradition
with a modern sonic aesthetic, will be featured on this season's eighth episode
of HBO's Sex and the City. While the details of their appearance have not been
disclosed by HBO, suffice it to say that the band performs in a scene with
Samantha Jones, played by Kim Cattrall.
"We found out that the program's music supervisor, Dan Lieberstein, is a
longtime fan of the band. We're flattered that he sought us out for the part,"
said lead singer Lorin Sklamberg. "It was great fun... hobnobbing off-camera
with Kristin Davis."
Band members were outfitted by costumer designer Patricia Field. "That was
fun," Sklamberg continued with a chuckle. "They made us look... East Villagey."
The Klezmatics' latest CD, Rise up! Shteyt Oyf! (Rounder Records), continues
the unlikely combination of ancient shtetl party music with an innovative
consciousness that could only arise from the experimental and intellectual East
Village. On the release, samples from a 1948 Jewish archive combine with avant
horn riffs. A homoerotic love song sits beside traditional Hasidic songs. And
the CD title comes from a powerful gospel-tinged revision of Holly Near's "I
Ain't Afraid" in both Yiddish and English. Not the repertoire of your
grandmother, and yet it may be the very bridge connecting us to the past.
The Klezmatics' appearance on Sex on the City airs on August 10, 2003 at 9:00
p.m. Eastern on HBO. See local listings for details. Visit the online press kit
for audio samples, hi-res JPGs, and info about the band's latest CD.
Journalists should contact rock paper scissors to request the CD or schedule
interviews.
Media contact:
Dmitri Vietze
rock paper scissors
216 West Allen St., Ste 137
Bloomington, IN  47403
USA
music (at) rockpaperscissors(dot)biz
TEL +1-812-339-1195
FAX +1-801-729-4911
www.rockpaperscissors.biz
Visit our website for online press kits
featuring Real Audio clips, articles, tour schedules
and more!
{{music of global significance}}