Re: Israeli History and Politics: The Past Century

I have always thought that the song "Makhar," from songs of the Six Day War
captured the optimism and the positive intent of that period quite perfectly.

And, I've also felt that Shalom Chanoch's song, "Hamashiach lo bah" (The
Messiah hasn't come/hasn't even called) responded to the Messianism that is
one component of Israeli politics, in a way that has resounded with many of
my friends there and become its own catch phrase.

Somewhere in between, Chava Alberstein's reworking of "chad gadya", off her
"London" album ("how long will we be locked in the same cycle of violence")
expressed, in its own way, that earlier optimism, somewhat tempered by the
difficulties of the intervening years. It's easily the song people ask me
about most often when they hear that I have an Israeli music collection.

That gives some range, I guess.

ari

At 02:15 PM 7/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm preparing a music (and video) program on Israeli History and Politics:
>The Past Century [working title].  It will explore how music of the past
>century in the area of present day Israel reflects the region's history
>and politics.  I have made a good start, but would appreciate the list's
>help in selecting songs that have been important to the people there --
>such as, Hatikvah (no, not a thorough analysis of its music and lyrics
>this time) and Yerushalayim shel Zahav.  I'm interested both in songs
>written in reaction to particular times and events, and songs that were
>adopted later as they took on a secondary meaning for those who sang them.

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/