Re: Musicians - how useful is Alexander Technique? Feldenkrais?

A little off-topic, but I thought I'd share an exercise that has helped me a
great deal as a singer.  It was taught to me by a speech therapist.

1) While sitting, expel all the air from your lungs by leaning forward and
breathing out completely.  (Only do this while sitting--it can make you a
little
dizzy!)

2) Inhale as deeply as possible while sitting back up.

3) Now, exhale as slowly as possible (goal: 1 minute) by release the air
through pursed lips, making a sound like a punctured tire.  (While we were
doing
this before a show, the trumpet player walked by and said, "Hmm...the singers
are leaking!)

After doing this, I find that my diaphragm is more supportive of my voice,
and that it naturally rings more in its (higher) register than my speaking
voice.  I suggested this exercise to a friend who plays shofar on Yom Kippur,
and
he outlasted the other shofar blowers!  (The spectacle of "who can blow the
longest tikiya g'dola at the end of Yom Kippur" is a highlight of our services.)

Lori @ MAX

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->