Re: Greek music concert in Montclair NJ

Henry wrote:

However, aside from the fact that Beth is Jewish (incidentally, one side of her
family is Syrian, the other Ukrainian), and we did play the "Is it Greek or is
it klezmer?" Hasaposerviko, I don't know why we are discussing this upcoming
concert on this list....

Fair question. My respone:

We had just discussed the connection between Greek and Klezmer on the list last
week.  I had sent a posting about instrumentation (use of violin w/ dulcimer)
being a sign of connection-- citing Paul Gifford's theory of Western-tuned
sandouris entering Greek music near the turn of the 20th century via
Bessarabian Jews who left Europe for Asia Minor (specifically, Smyrna/Izmir).

Think it's important to see klezmer as part of a tapestry of musical cultures
across Europe and Asia (and now the Americas).  Not many black and white
borders between these musics-- rather, many shades of gray.  Obviously for our
own sanity, we have to draw some distinctions and create different listserves
accordingly.  However, I decided to post this one in the context of our
previous discussion.

As a builder, Roussos has been an important source of instruments to some
current klezmer revival tsimblists. In terms of his playing,  I've stolen a lot
of his ideas in trying to create a solo tsimbl style-- for which there's a
paucity of sources to learn from.

And because it's great music.

Zay gesind, Pete