Re: Jewish themes in Offenbach

In a message dated 5/11/2003 1:25:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl writes:

> Bruch, Kol Nidrei (of course).  Bruch also wrote a choral work based on
> >Jewish themes, the name of which I have forgotten, but which someone else
> on
> >this list will surely remember. (Don't forget that Bruch was NOT himself
> >Jewish).

I believe Irwin is referring to the "Three Hebrew Songs" based upon melodies
of Isaac Nathan and further subtitled "after Lord Byron's Hebrew Melodies"
for mixed chorus and full orchestra.

I don't know if this is something to bring up on Mother's Day, but this is
after all a Jewish Music list and just looking at a catalogue of Bruch's
work, it's interesting to point out something that brings me to a rare way to
compare Irving Berlin and Max Bruch.  In the case of Berlin, it was lamented
a little while back that he might have written something more substantional
for the Chanukah repertory, just as he enriched the Chrisitan holidays with
"White Christmas" and "Easter Parade."  Well apparently Bruch composed an
"Ave Maria" for cello and orchestra and who out there has ever heard this
work performed, or even heard a recorded version of it?  Apparently some
composers get their creative juices going while tending to the "other side."
or perhaps better put, "other territory."  Is it perhaps that Bruch as a
Protestant found a deeper well to draw from with the "Kol Nidre" than the
very Catholic notion of mother Mary?  Just another aesthetic notion to ponder
on Mother's Day.  Happy Mother's Day!

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->