Re: Oy Ir Kleyne Likhtelekh

I just perused my collection for "O, ir kleyne likhtelekh" and what I
found were mostly either the melodies attributed as "folksmotiv" or
"folks melodiye", or Leo Lyov (aka Leo Low).  The folk melody variety
comes in two flavors, differing slightly in the verse and being
virtually identical in the chorus.  This is the melody in the Workmen's
Circle publication, "Yontevdike Teg: Songbook for the Jewish Holidays",
and is sometimes attributed to Zavel Zilberts.  Can anyone confirm that
he is the composer?

The majority of the versions I have use the Lyov melody, including one
from a book from 1910.

M. Ivker, who was a teacher in the Mexican Jewish day schools where
Yiddish was taught (and is just now being phased out in favor of Hebrew.
 A shame, considering the renewal of interest in many other parts of the
world), composed yet another melody, which sounds a bit like a Russian
Cafe song.

The version from the Goldfarb "Jewish Songster" proclaims the music to
have been composed by Sonia Cheifetz.  She uses the folk melody and
embellishes B and C sections around it.  I am annoyed that full
attribution is given her, but this appears to be nothing new with the
Goldfarb brothers.

As to the lyrics, most versions give only the first two and the last
verses.  The version at Zemerl has the lyrics mostly correct, but the
poster has butchered some of the words and spelling.  Furthermore, the
third verse is not translated at all.

I hope this has been of interest, or helpful to you.

mit frayndshaft,
Lor(looking forward to eating some bread)ele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for