RE: Hasaposerviko

Michel Borzykowski [ mailto:borzykowski (at) infomaniak(dot)ch wrote:

> A few days ago, Sandra mentioned the term 'Hasaposerviko'.
Does anybody have information about this term and especially about the
tune 'Trello Hasaposerviko' ?

If I recall, I have a Columbia 78 recorded in New York City around
1927 by Peter Mamakos, accompanied by
Costas Papagikas on cimbalom and Markos Syfnios on cello with the
title "Trello Hasapiko."  This is also
a klezmer tune----but I can't think of a particular recording offhand.
I think it might be on one of the Russian
recordings reissued on one of Joel Rubin's compilations.  Sorry to be
so vague.  I do recall that a Gypsy
violinist in Detroit, Alex Shandor (born in Pennsylvania but raised in
New York City), played this tune,
which he called "Greek."  He played a lot in the Lower East Side and
in the Catskill hotels, too, so
who knows where he might have learned it.

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->