New reviews on the KlezmerShack

I've finally started tackling overflowing piles of CDs. In no particular order
of excellence (there are some really, really excellent CDs whose reviews are
yet to come) here are new reviews available this week demonstrating, once
again, the absurd bread of interesting music that is being sent to the
KlezmerShack:

1. Naftule's Dream / Live in Florence is a dream--this live recording catches
the energy and interplay of this post-klezmer edge band as nothing yet.
http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/nd/florence/nd.florence.html

2. Dresder & Mayer / Sruli and Lisa's Klezmer Dance Party provides the answer
to the question: "what two people are most responsible for people associating
"party" and "klezmer".
http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/ypkw/party/ypkw.party.html

3. Nikolayev Kapeliah / Vodkazak features some of my favorite klezmer and jazz
musicians (Alicia Svigals, Jeff Warschauer, Sy Kushner, Marty Confurious, Nicki
Parrot) tearing up chasidic standards. Hot.
http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/nikolayev/vodkazak/nikolayev.vodkazak.html

4. Meshugga Beach Party. It's time to twist to those freilachs once again. Dick
Dale meets "Hatikvah" and wins.
http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/waldorf/beach/waldorf.beach.html

5. The new Theresa Tova CD, "Live at the Top o' the Senator" is a jazz singer's
delight. The KlezmerShack review is up at
http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/tova/live/tova.live.html.

6. It's about time, but we finally have a short review up of the marvellous
recent CD by Laura Wetzler, Kabbalah Music, at
http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/wetzler/kabbalah/wetzler.kabbalah.html

Enjoy,
ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/