Re: Musicals/Jewish content

Amen, George.

Conversely, we've not touched much on 2 of the better musical composers of
the last 3 decades, both of whom are Jewish and both of whom have written
chraachters, if not entire musicals, on Jewish themes and subject matter.

James Lapin has done an interesting thing with his  "Falsettos" trilogy
(chime in any time Eve) about a Jewish "family" in New York living through
the emergence of the aids crisis.  Stephen Sondheim's Company has Jewish
charachters in the couple of Amy and Paul, if not others, but I'm not certain
that there are others, really.  I've wondered why he of the "unhummable"
hasn't broached the subject....

Thoughts on either>?

> Why are you all so surprised that a show written by the dreaded Andrew
> Lloyd
> Webber is devoid of Jewish content?
> The guy is a vocal born-again Christian whose Jesus Christ Superstar
> repeats
> the old canard of Jews as Christ-killers.
>
> The big surprise to me is that anyone so manifestly untalented as Lloyd
> Webber has had a massive career (and no, I'm not attributing it to
> anti-Semitism, just the stupidity of audiences).
>
> George Robinson
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam Davis, Director
> Kfar Jewish Arts Center
> 773.550.1543
>
> Kfar Jewish Arts Center is an inclusive arts incubator that serves to
> stimulate, promote and produce the next generation of Jewish expression.
> Hebrew for village, Kfar is an artistic community of local actors,
> musicians and artists.  Visit our Kfar at  <A
> HREF="http://www.kfarcenter.com";>www.kfarcenter.com</A>.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->