Re: Musicals/Jewish content

on 3/19/03 6:05 AM, Lori Cahan-Simon at l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org
wrote:

> Speaking of Joseph, I'm always annoyed at how absolutely goyish this
> musical is.  There is nothing Jewish in it, to my mind, apart from
> whence comes the story.

Are you speaking of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat? If so, I'd
agree with you that it is mostly goyish, however there is one exception.
Close Every Door is a Jewish sounding melody in harmonic minor with
occasional touches of Freygish.

I'm not defending this show, but it so happens that last month I played
guitar, mandolin and violin in a local production, thus I know the music in
this show all too well. Close Every Door was in Fmin, 4 flats, not a great
klezmer violin key. Way too much of the show was in 5 and 6 flats, obviously
not written by a stringed instrument player.

Seth

--
Seth Austen

http://www.sethausten.com