Re: Hungarian Jewish song

<samweiss (at) bellatlantic(dot)net> wrote:

>There is one other Hungarian song of the Kalever Rebbe that I just noticed
in the
>"Z'miros Yisroel B'Yidish" collection. It has four verses, plus four
equivalent verses
>in rather well-written Hebrew poetry, and it's hard to tell which is a
translation of
>which, or perhaps the Kalever wrote both of them.  I'll quote the first
couplet, just
>in case someone (Paul?) is familiar with it:

>Sirnak rinak a barányok,
>Panaszkodnak a juhásznak...
>(The sheep are crying, complaining to shepherd...)

Sorry, I do not know of any other Hungarian song by the Kalever Rebbe but
the "Szol a kakas mar".
However, I heard the following song  :~) which was sung by the Hungarian
Chalutsim movement in 1948-1950:

Sírnak, rínak az arabok
Ha megjönnek a chaluts-ok
Haifa mellett ott laknak a chaluts-ok
Ott ahol a p'luga háza áll

(The Arabs are crying / when the chalutsim come /
The chalutsim live near Haifa there  / where the company [p'luga]
headquarters
are.)

Paul A. Unger