Re: Finale, Sibelius, LilyPond, etc.

on 1/19/03 1:44 AM, R.A.S. at richards (at) rainlore(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
wrote:

>> paid extra for - the ability to define key signatures other than the
>> standard major and minors, e.g. the typical 2 flats and a sharp.

> Bartok of course was quite fond of using "oddball" key sigs, and personally
> speaking, I would much prefer to use them too. However, classical
> _performers_ in my experience seem to be very much divided on the issue,
> with perhaps a small majority preferring standard key sigs with the use of
> accidentals (and perhaps some indication of the actual tonic if this is
> somewhat obscured.
>
> Any strong views either way by any of our "resident" performers here, of
> whatever genre?

I personally prefer using modal notation, ie, I'd put 2 flats and 1 sharp in
the key signature for D freygish as opposed to using the key sig of Bb and
adding the F# accidental everywhere. However, it's advisable to let
musicians know that you've done this if they're not used to playing klezmer!

Seth

--
Seth Austen

http://www.sethausten.com