  From: Fred Blumenthal
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:43 AM
  Subject: Finale, Sibelius, LilyPond, etc.

  A few comments on the discussion of music software.
  We're the people reputed to scold each other for buying retail; I hope
nobody's paying full Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for music software.
I'm much more familiar with Finale than Sibelius (and disagree about Sibelius
being more widespread), but I note that CodaMusic, the manufacturer, sells
Finale for about $600, and in an advertisement in "The Choral Journal" one
source advertises Finale for about $200.  And sometimes an educational or
religious discount might apply.
  A comparison was made with the .doc format in word processing.  It's possible
to copy and paste between Microsoft Word (.doc) and Lotus WordPro (.lwp), and
this might be possible with other word processing programs, too.  And one
format that these two programs share is Rich Text Format (.rtf).  So one could
"save as" a file in Word as .rtf, open it in WordPro, and "save as" in .lwp.  I
haven't experimented with copying or resaving between Finale and Sibelius (or
Encore or LilyPond),  but I would hope the manufacturers of the commercial
music software would be open to a universal format, one beyond .mid so as to be
applicable to the print-ready score.  I might some day want to share scores
with a shayner Yid who uses Sibelius.
  Fred Blumenthal
  xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->