Re: ban on all Israeli musicians to be debated Monday by British Musicians Union

On 18/01/2003 at 18:45 Sandra Layman wrote:

>http://www.wiesenthal.com/social/press/pr_item.cfm?ItemID=7053
>
>January 16, 2003
>
>WIESENTHAL CENTER PROTESTS BRITISH UNION'S MOVE TO BAN ALL ISRAELI
MUSICIANS
>FROM BRITAIN
>
>The British Musicians Union is to debate a motion on January 20, 2003 to
ban
>all Israeli musicians from Britain and the visits of their own members to

This is truly appalling, IMO. It is just as ludicrous as the criticisms
levelled at Paul Simon in the 1980s over his "Graceland" album by some
sections of the then anti-Apartheid movement.

Also, let it not be overlooked that Israeli musicians and bands are not
only Jewish ones, but Arabic/Palestinian as well, and many groups exist
that comprise both Jewish and Palestinian musicians.

Not helpful at all, as I see it. Sad. Very sad.

Richard